Monday, October 26, 2009

Meat Bake a la Olaf and Meatballs

So I remember Olaf describing to me a meal that he had from time to time, a sort of personal comfort food. Here's my version of his meat bake, it was pretty good. I ended up mashing it all together on my plate and while it looked gross, was pretty delicious. I had extra meat so I made some meatballs for subs. Makes 2 servings and 6 meatballs.


Meat Bake!
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 c diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 T dried thyme
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 T fresh parsley, and some extra for garnish
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 large tomato sliced
  1. Poke some holes the sweet potato, and then microwave on high for 20 minutes.
  2. While your potato is cooking, mix together the ground beef, onion, garlic, thyme, olive oil, parsley and salt and pepper. It's gooey but doing it by hand is more fun.
  3. When your potato is done, slice it in half, and scoop out the insides. Mash this up and spread along a small baking dish. Layer your tomato slices on top, and finish with a layer of your meat mixture, about a 1/2 inch thick. You'll have extra meat leftover to make meatballs with.
  4. Place your dish in the broiler at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or when meat looks done.
With your extra meat feel free to make some meatballs. I made six 1-inch ones which I just fried in olive oil for use in meatball subs later.


1 comment:

  1. oooh, still got a pound or so of ground beef in the freezer, so i am definitely trying this out sometime :)

    usually when i make meatballs/meat patties, i sautee the onions and garlic a little bit before adding it to the meat, and add milk, breadcrumbs and cheese to the mixture~ I also use basil instead of parsley, but that's just 'cause i'm too cheap to go buy a bunch of parsley i'll only ever use, at most, half of. >_< ..though, that problem happens a lot with basil, too. :/

    ReplyDelete